Friday, September 6, 2013

Niche market

There is a heating and air conditioning service somewhere in the Birmingham area running an ad on radio about their service technicians not using foul language and not smoking.  They even guarantee it.  If their service tech do curse or smoke, you receive your service call for free.  

Does this offend smokers or those that regularly use foul language?  I don't know.  Maybe.  Do you think the heating and air conditioning company cares whether it offends them.  Probably not.  Why?  Because in making that statement, they have caught the attention of a niche market.  A segment of the population who prefers not to be around someone smoking and/or using foul language.  Even if that that is only 10% of the population, think about how many heating and air companies there are out there.  Maybe 100.  So, any given company might expect to receive 1% of the market.  If, by making a statement such as this, they can capture 10% of the market, how HUGE is that?  

Think about that as you are deciding on a target market and how to market to them.

3 comments:

  1. My business opinion is wouldn't it be a better business choice not to offend anyone? Stay positive in your business venture with out being offensive to others for example, they could make this be about workers being on time to locations and equality of the work done. Because if they offend the smokers and foul language users, and these users are the clients they already have this could causes a decrease in their business.

    I can understand that some people prefer not to be around second hand smoke or listen to foul language, and it maybe a company policy not to do this around customers and their homes, but when a company will only hire only non-smokers to better insure company policy, that is a violation of peoples rights, and I am all about protecting rights, for example, I am not a user of foul language but if another was that's their right to fee speech!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10% market share that is huge for a company with that many competitors. If they could get that on billboards along i-65, where out of town people travel, they could reach a bigger market share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Halo,I'm Helena Julio from Ecuador,I want to talk good about Le_Meridian Funding Service on this topic.Le_Meridian Funding Service gives me financial support when all bank in my city turned down my request to grant me a loan of 500,000.00 USD, I tried all i could to get a loan from my banks here in Ecuador but they all turned me down because my credit was low but with god grace I came to know about Le_Meridian so I decided to give a try to apply for the loan. with God willing they grant me  loan of 500,000.00 USD the loan request that my banks here in Ecuador has turned me down for, it was really awesome doing business with them and my business is going well now. Here is Le_Meridian Funding Investment Email/WhatsApp Contact if you wish to apply loan from them.Email:lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.comWhatsApp Contact:+1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete